Delecroix museum is certainly one of the best kept secrets in Paris, a heaven of peace in the heart of the left bank ! When the french romantic painter received the commission of a chapel’s decoration in Saint Sulpice church on left bank, he was living in New Athens district, on right bank, a fashionable area for artists and intellectuals but located in the north of the city. He wanted then to settle down closer to this new project and was looking for both an apartment and workshop.
His color merchant suggested him this apartment on first floor in Saint Germain des pres area and a stone throw from the church St Sulpice. It had also access to a private garden with the possibility to build a workshop, the ideal spot indeed for Delecroix !
The painter of Liberty leading the people didn’t hesitate very long and moved there in 1857. He even designed himself the plans of his workshop. He enjoyed the place and loved his garden so much until he passed away in 1863.
A day with Anne muraro @parisdeluxearty ❤️